Saturday, April 16, 2011

YooHoo-Blondie!! Baked Stuffed Blueberry French Toast

The other day I posted
a recipe for
Baked Apple Stuffed
French Toast.
I promised someone
(she's kinda shy so
I crossed her name out
but feel free to visit
cuz you will love her-
Pinky Promise)
ANYWAY-
I promised that
I would give her
a recipe for another
prepare ahead~
overnight~
 baked dish~
that I often
make for
Sunday Brunch.

It is easy,
can be fixed ahead,
and always
gets
WOWS!
It is calorie laden and
will add an inch to
your hips just walking by
the pan- but SOO worth it.

Ingredients


12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
 1 cup fresh blueberries
12 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1/3 cup maple syrup

Homemade Syrup Topping
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water 1 cup fresh blueberries 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.

In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.  (This works best in a glass baking pan where you can SEE how brown it is getting)

Topping:
In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast .

I always serve this with overnight ham because it is so easy for an impressive quick morning breakfast.
I guarandurntee it will make the little kids and the big kids at your house smile.
They will bow before your cooking skills and call you marvelous.
The will love you!
They will want to BE you...Yeah...
..Too bad for them, huh?;>)
your photo name

18 comments:

From the Kitchen said...

Will I ever get started on my New Year's resolution to diet? Not with recipes like this to tempt me! We love blueberries and French toast. Together=delicious! Thanks a bunch. I can start that diet another day.

Best,
Bonnie

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Yum, Yum, Yum!!!
Going to try this one, Thanks for sharing the recipe...
( my internet has been sketchy... so I have not been able to do much lately.... this morning I spent some time looking thru your "Sweet Cheels videos" laughing out loud.. Thanks for the good feelings she gives"

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

This sounds so yummy! I love blueberries and everything with cream cheese is delicious and low calorie! Ok,not low calorie, but definitely delicious!

Patty Patterson said...

I really needed that blueberry syrup recipe. Can it be kept in the fridge and used on waffles? Gracie loves blueberry waffles with blueberry syrup and shipped topping, but the syrup comes in a tiny jar and is rather expensive per ounce. This might be a much better option! :-)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

GASP!!!!!!!!!!! This is HEAVENLY!!!!!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Diana Sweetie...
What are you trying to DO to me gal? Oh my gosh, I am gaining weight just drooling over this one. I love this recipe and I think the grands would as well. Jane is going to love it.

I bet Sweet Cheeks is your favorite test taster of all your recipes, and probably little helper as well. I can just see her talking away as you cook in the kitchen. She is a doll baby.

Have a glorious weekend sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Pamela said...

OMG YUM!! I'm coming to your house for a visit!!
This sounds amazing!!!

Pamela xo

Debbie said...

I'm sure you plan on serving this when Laurie and I visit this summer, right?! Heehaaa...looks wonderful!!
Enjoy your day, Diana.
Hugs,
Debbie

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Yum! Yes! I will try this with my family :) Thank you, Diana!

Donna said...

Ok Diana, you KNOW that now that I am nearly 2,000 miles away from you right now, it is going to be very difficult for me to stop in for brunch! But, don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep one of these days, looking very hungry! Wow, this sounds amazing! I think you are really Paula Deen in disguise! haha1 Except, you forgot the two sticks of butter:)
Hugs to you from Idaho!

Blondie's Journal said...

Thank you so much, Diana! I was so surprised to see my name in your post! ;-D

This recipe is going to be tops on my list at the lakehouse. And I will be sure to give you credit when I WOW everyone with it!!

Have a great weekend, sweetie!

XO,
Jane

Tete said...

This looks really good- yeah, my kind of eating. Hope you are having a fun day today and aren't getting any more snow. It looked pink and white up your way on the map.
We are cold and damp today with a chance of thunderstorms off and on- so Craig is doing the Walmart run and DH and I are cleaning- I'm taking a small break right now- wink.
Hugs- Tete

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for Grandparents and Caregivers said...

Oyyyy - looks so yummy but I'm really doing good with my Flat Belly (MUFA foods) diet. BUT I know just the people (along with my sweet grandkids) who will appreciate it so will definitely pass it on. Thank you :)

Laura said...

Diana, that looks really delicious! and seriously more-ish I bet!!! Loooove your video of sweetcheeks!! So funny! Seb was watching with me; he loved it too!You are too clever downloading video and all!!
Oh, and it kinda looks pretty cold where you are (from the views out the car window!) Is it springtime now? How warm do your summers get?
I think our summer is going on forever! (I like it, - the extended summer- but no one I know does!! they have all had enough!)
Sorry I havent been to visit much this week. Havent really had a chance to get to anyones blog, but yours is always my first stop when I do! Lots of love and hugs, Laura xxx

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh, Diana, this looks so totally delicious--WOW!!!!
XO

Heaven's Walk said...

I gained 10 pounds just looking at the photo!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

xoxo laurie

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Ok, this looks out of this world delicious! I will definitely give this a try...since it's lo-cal I'll make it often!!!! I love blueberries and cream cheese, mix them together and it sounds like heaven. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Diana. You are super wonderful.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

You left out you will gain 5 lbs just looking at it on your computer!
It looks yummmmmmmy!!